Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The tricks the scale, pictures, bad lighting and fleshy white bellies play on us

First day of Piyo, an "easy 9km" run, and lower and upper body piyo

I like keeping it real on my blog, sharing the real in and outs, the flabby under arm skin, the marathon sharts and all.  It's an on going journey/battle to feel good about yourself, to feel good in your skin.  I find I am constantly checking in and seeing if I need to tweak things to maintain my own happy balance.  By happy balance, I mean looking and feeling good in my body, enjoying life in this fit body and having my wine and choc! All while running and sweating up a storm because that's what I like to do.

Recently I purchased Beachbody's PIYO program.  I am certified to teach the LIVE class but haven't really followed through with that.  I do love the workouts though and thought this would be a great option for my strength work during the summer while the kids are home.  I don't like dragging the WHINE TRAIN to the gym.   My plan is to do PIYO for my strength for a month and see how it goes.  I had been getting in 2-3, 20-30 min strength sessions a week and I hope that PIYO will up that commitment to strength training, while balancing and strengthening my RUNNING and BIKING Machine.  I don't know if I can pull of 6 days a week with all the other stuff I do but 4 would be nice.

I'm hoping to see some changes in my body with the PIYO, as many indulgent weekends away are catching up on me and I need to tweak that "balance" again.  (note: not following the nutrition part of the program as it's not enough for my training)

So as part of the PIYO program they have this thing where if you send in your BEFORE and AFTER pics you can get a sweet free TEE.  I like FREE.  So I took the pics.

OMG! Those pictures are sooooo not flattering!! Now most of you know I take a lot of pics of myself in my workout gear.  I've been doing it since day one at the gym.  I had even given up using the scale for a bit and was using the pictures as my guide.  I feel good when I see my fit self in my workout gear.  I don't always feel good when I step on the scale.  So I didn't expect to be horrified by these pics.  I will admit I wasn't holding my core at all, didn't use my usual "good pose" etc.  So these are not flattering! Want to see? LOL

These were taken on a Monday after a weekend camping! nuff said :) 
They aren't that bad, mostly I see a flabby middle aka the wine belly :) So shirt back on and away I go with my usual routine.  Training as I usually do except with the addition of PIYO, eating as I normally do (about 2100-2300 cal, only a lot "cleaner" during the week then the weekend) and 2 days later took these pics.

Fully admit the "core is on" but not sucking in for dear life :) wink 
I look at these pics, and think man I lost 10 pounds! I must have done a cleanse or pill or took a huge poo! NOPE.  2 days later, SAME WEIGHT!  But I'm in my favourite workout clothes, that flatter my body.  I'm feeling good, and it shows.  I don't walk around with my white belly showing :) maybe if I did and it got some sun I would feel better about it.  My point is that, we are all bombarded with BEFORE and AFTER IMAGES.  We see adds for quick fixes.  We see programs that promise results.  Not to say that doing those (and I fully do expect PIYO to help change my body a bit, certainly to strengthen it and make it more flexible) won't deliver some sort of result.  But before you leap into buying that promise.  Before you let your pictures, or mental picture of yourself make you feel badly.  Truly take stock of your strengths.  Strong legs, blue eyes, endurance runner...whatever it is about yourself that makes you FEEL GOOD!  Take a "Selfie" in good light, in flattering clothes, and smile :)  Feel good in YOUR skin.  Your before and your after is uniquely yours and will not match the ads seen on TV.  Then if you want to add some strength or a nutritional program to your regime go for it.  Do what feels right for you, but don't be mislead.  Make it your own, modify it and make it fit your unique self.

Happy Hump Day :) 

My happy place, in my happy clothes, getting sweaty 





2 comments: