Sunday, June 15, 2014

I'm a DUATHLETE !


I did it!!! OMG I did it!  I ran 5m, biked 44.4km, and ran 10km!

I went into this race with the attitude of giving it my best, and enjoying the experience.  I had signed up for the DU to change things up, to try something new, to get the FUN back.  I didn't put the usual pressure on myself like I do when running a race.  It was refreshing to say the least.

The morning started off with the girls running the 1km Wylie Ryan Race.  This was their first race running without mom and dad.  They loved that!  We took them to the start line and they promptly shooed us away.  I love that my race was late enough that I got to see my girls run, it was just the boost I needed.

My big girl, she ran with just ahead of her sister most of the time, and kept looking back to make sure she was ok

Curly kid just on the heels of her big sis 
FINISHERS! 
I love this pic! Kasey in the finishers chute, drinking her Gatorade, and asking if she can eat a bagel (like she just ran a marathon lol). I love that they got to experience this race yesterday and soak up all the inspiration from all the athletes. It was so neat seeing people swim, paddle, bike and run. The girls even went out for breaky after their race with Daddy. They got the full race experience lol!

After the girls race I was left on my own, to set up my transition area and find my partner in crime Rachael.  Our race didn't start till 9:45 so we had lots of time to kill, and I'm thankful that we kept each other laughing instead of being nervous. 

DU GIRLS

The race breakdown

5km Run

The 5km was an out and back X2 with lots of grassy areas.  This part of the race was crowded as we were running with a 5km race and also meeting up with people on the run portion of their Tri's.  The running path was narrow which was a little annoying with so many people, but you make do.  My plan for the 5km was to run it easy maybe a 26-28min 5km.  Well, that didn't happen, I got caught up in the excitement and was chasing my friend Rachael's heels and did it in 24:20 (would have been a smidge faster too if I hadn't stopped and stood still asking for clarification on where to go at the end before crossing the mats lol).  

My friend Allyson snapped this pic :)  I look much stronger here then I do in the 10km run I bet :) LOL


44.4km Bike

I headed into the bike still high from such a fast 5km, I was both stoked and also praying it wouldn't come back to bite me in the bum.  I was lucky though, as this bike course had a 2km untimed portion in and back.  So I had time to recover before putting pedal to the metal!  In true Katie fashion I got lost going into the bike and missed the start line continuing on the path, only to double back and ask for help.  There was a moment there were I got really pissed thinking I had messed it all up and almost said FARK IT I'm quitting and going home.  Thankfully I didn't and since I hadn't crossed the timing mats yet, my bike portion was fine...I just started later.  I loved the bike part!  Lots of space to ride hard and fly.  The course was 4 loops, so 8 turnarounds.  The first two I unclipped and was really slow going around.  Then I told myself to grow a pair and BALLS UP! I stayed clipped in for the rest, and I'm really proud of that.  The bike went well until the last loop when my butt started to really hurt, my back started to ache, and my hamstring started to act up.  I thought I was done in, wouldn't be able to run.  I love how my mind goes to worst case scenario right away!  I came up to ride easy position to rest a bit, kept pushing the pedals, and pushed my way to the finish.  Luckily there was that 2km untimed piece again to recover before the 10km.  I took it easy and took some extra energy jubes and E-Load.  
10Km Run

This part was hard! It didn't take long for my legs to lose the wobbly feeling off the bike, usually about 400m, but my legs were heavy and tired.  I felt  like a lumbering elephant running.  I wasn't in any kind of pain, just really tired.  The 4 out and back loops were mental draining.  Each turnaround made me slow down and I felt it hard to pick my pace back up again.  Doing a turnaround by the finish line was a tease each time.  I swear if it was not for my kids high fiving me at each turnaround I would have quit.  I felt like quitting at 5km, I actually really thought about it!  

I did it!  My first Olympic Duathlon!!! 


Got to love to small races where you can place THIRD!! 


Next up....Half Iron Du training!  Which I am seriously beginning to question but I'm going to do my best and still find balance this summer to have fun.  I will keep you posted on how that goes :) 






2 comments:

  1. Excuse me but I now need a nebulizer breathing treatment after reading that first sentence. What accomplished is wayyy more than amazing. Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can not thank-you enough for all your encouragement, you are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete