Thursday, June 12, 2014

3 days till my first Duathalon



Seriously loving running in this new buff from Pelee Island, makes me feel bad ass


3 days till my first ever Duathalon and I am surprisingly calm about it.  No taper crazies, no second guessing my plan, not even freaking out about the potential of a tire blowing and I still don't know how to change it.  I think I feel calm about it because it's my FIRST and I really don't have any expectations.  I am truly going out to do my best and see what happens.  The bike part is a little bit out of my control.  I know people blow tires or chains come off.  My bike is in the shop right now getting a tune up to make sure it's in great condition.   But if I pop a tire I am screwed. As I still have not learned how to change it.  So if it happens, so be it.  My plan is to DNF and do my own Olympic the next weekend in Norland.  See no biggie :) Totally Zen Katie.  

I've trained for this event, and even did a smaller version of the race distance in Norland a few weeks back so I know I can do this!  I ran a hotter the HADES half marathon almost 2 weeks ago so I know I can manage the heat (just have to slow down).  But still it's a bit daunting when I put it all together.  In my mind it's a wee 5km run (no sweat), a 44km bike (been there done that many times and further), and a 10 km run (no probs) but add all that up and I will be on course for a least 3 hrs!  That's an hour more then a Hotter then Hades Half Marathon!  

What I am a bit nervous about is the idea of being on the bike with loads of other bikers around.  I'm really glad I did that 70km Cheo Ride before this.  Worst case I go slower because I am nervous, and well so be it.  I'm a little unsure how the transitions work but I will figure it out.  I'm really trying to embrace the idea of this "race" being an experience.  I have a fuelling plan and hope that helps with the empty tank feeling I have experienced of late.  I'm as ready as I can be at this point and I'm going to go and give it my best.  Truthfully, I think part of the reason I am so calm is that training for the half-iron distance doesn't get "real" till this race is over.  Now that is something that makes my tummy flutter, so much so that I have recently questioned my sanity.  

run, bike, run

let's do this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment