Thursday, May 29, 2014

Catch up Thursday

It's been awhile since I've blogged, so much training and sweating and LIVING this sweet sweaty life going on.  I leave bright and early tomorrow morning for an EPIC 4 day weekend away with 7 other girlfriends and NO HUBS, and NO KIDS!  Oh and I'm running my first Half Marathon of the year at a WINERY!  Going to be good.

So I thought I would do a little catch up post.

While my first half marathon is this weekend, the big heart pumper is that I do my first DUathalon in 3 weeks! On the May long weekend I did a practice mini "OLY" Du to see how it would feel.  I geared up and even put on my new bike jersey, which is really fitted and not like my usual bubble tops I like to work out in.  Looks great standing up, but bent over on a bike.....um...not so much.  But hopefully I will be a blur and no one will notice :) I joke but it's a big deal for me to put on something like this and feel fairly confident and you know what I do feel fairly confident.  Do you know why? It's because I feel confident in what my body can do! vs. what it looks like, something I need to embrace more.


I ran 3.2km, biked 44.4,km and ran 6.4km and it was AWESOME!! I almost died on the hills but I did it!  My legs felt like rubber the last km of my run but I did it!  It was important for me to do this workout so I could have a good idea of what the actual Olympic will feel like. I think I'm ready. The best part is that there is no pressure for this race.  It's about getting used to the DU transitions in a race setting and trying something new.  


I'm enjoying biking a lot.  I actually look forward to my bike rides.  I can't say I look forward to a run and yet I love running.  But when running I am looking at my Garmin constantly and worried about my pace and pushing myself.  When I bike, I just ride.  It's freeing and fun, kind of like being a kid again.  Biking is challenging in a different way for me.  It's making me push past my comfort, exploring new routes and not sticking to the same old same old safe things.  Then there are the HILLS!  Biking is challenging me physically.  I get out of breath at the top of the hills gasping for air.  I don't gasp when I run, even when doing speed work (mmm maybe I should lol).  I can't dial my tension back on the hill like I can in a spin class.  I have had moments of panic approaching a hill where I have thought I can't do it, what if I slow down and fall?  I've come close to giving up before I start.  But I have always made it up, and sometimes I have cried after because I DID IT!!  

Beautiful Norland Road 
I'm enjoying life, I love training hard for a goal and I give it my all.  I am loving the time spent with my family and friends.  I'm really quite happy.  Part of that involves eating good food and drinking wine and celebrating with my family and friends.  My husband and I had a chat recently about weight and we both agreed.  We both work out really hard but we also really enjoy our wine and beer.  I know we could have "flatter, tighter" middles if we cleaned up our diet.  (note: we eat very healthy most of the time certainly that 80%) But we are happy and enjoying ourselves and don't want to change things.  We have made that decision.  So why oh why, did I step on the scale recently and and feel so utterly awful over a few pounds difference?  STUPID! 


I got mad at myself for feeling that way!  Just that week I had felt great about my body in my workout clothes, seeing my reflection in the gym mirror.  I have had some great accomplishments of recent in my training.  All that to say that a number on the scale almost crushed that! WHY? You would think I would have learned by now.  So I had a chat with myself.  What is important to me right now?  Training is important, meeting my race goals and enjoying and living my life with my family.  When my body is "less fluffily" and I am more focused on "clean eating" quite frankly I am grumpy, lack patience, much of my thoughts are focused on food.  I don't want that now.  So what if my middle is fluffy.  I'm ok with that.  So there it is, I need to to truly be ok with that and my choices and get back to feeling AWESOME! 

These peeps right here are what matter 
Speaking of awesome, this weekend I'm running my first Half Marathon of the year.  It's in Pelee Island and I am going on a road trip with 7 other girlfriends!!!!  Did I mention the race is being held by a winery???  So what's the plan?  HAVE FUN!  ENJOY myself!  I plan on running my best race that day what ever it may be, and then drinking a boat load of wine and celebrating with my friends.  Two of whom are running their FIRST HM's and two of whom have just run their first FULL marathons.  Plus there's a birthday in there too :)  So friendship, running, and wine :)  BRING IT ON!. 

So on that note I leave you with:








1 comment:

  1. OMG. Now I dreaming of a marathon with wine hydration stations. Ahhhhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete