Saturday, April 26, 2014

Why Social Media Keeps me going




I've recently reconnected with some friends on Facebook and I have to admit I feel a bit sorry for them, they must be like GOOD LORD how many times is this woman going to post about running, working out, and every other thing going on.  

I have been meaning to write a blog post wanting to thank the people in my "social media" life for sometime.  Here's the thing Facebook for me is a really positive thing.  I actually talk to my friends there.  I get to see their ups and downs and get to be part of their lives in a small way.  Some friends are far away, some are close by.  Some of them I have never actually met in real life but I know them like we have been friends since Kindergarten.  When I need help, when something is bothering me, when I just want to vent, or when I want to share a really silly funny my FB Peeps are there.

About 4 years ago I started posting my workouts to FB.  It was doing that led to someone I hadn't seen in years thinking I had it in me to run the 5km Army Race! I don't know where I would be today,  what path I would have taken if I had not run that race.  (thank-you Eva, you have no idea!) Posting my workouts and fitness stuff to FB (dailymile and instagram) helps motivate me.  I fully admit that on days when I don't want to drag my ass to the gym the thought of getting it in my Daily Mile graph gets me there.  I'm a solo runner for the most part, but sharing my runs with my run peeps on Daily Mile, cheering each other on and sharing the ins and outs of the run makes me feel part of something.

I hide it well (I think lol) but I struggle just like everyone else.  Yes I love to run and to exercise and it is most definitely my happy thing.  But I have days when the last thing I want to do is head out the door to sweat.  I have days when my motivation tank is almost empty.  I put a lot of pressure on myself to achieve things. I dream big and want to reach those dreams.  Along the way I can be much to hard on myself, filling myself with doubt, even self sabotaging myself.  I can come home from a run on top of the world or at the bottom of it.  Luckily usually it is the happy place, but there are times when you just need that "YOU DID GOOD TODAY" to help you see past the doubt.

That's where my FB Peeps, the most amazing cheer squad in the world, comes in!  You have no idea but every time you like and comment on one of my damn workout posts you fill me up.  You make me feel better about myself.  You add pep to my step, and I dance all over my damn inner self doubt.  I have been so blessed, to have incredible friends that have supported me, cheered me on and lifted me up on this journey.  I know that without your support making my lifelong dream of running a marathon would not have happened in the same way or at all?  Let alone FOUR!

So this post is a HUGE SQUISHY HUG of thanks to all of you that have been there cheering me on.  I can't thank-you enough.  Truly :)

8 comments:

  1. You should be proud .. you look great ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie I feel the same way about you. What started as a friendship based on being on the same blog feels like it has become so much more, having you on Facebook I feel like I know you, I see your pictures of your family and your comments all the time and really enjoy your warm and sunny personality. Many times in my life you have been there for me with an encouraging word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you Melodie :) :) I so enjoyed working on that blog with you and getting to know you.

      Delete
  3. Katie, it's easy to be your cheerleader because you're the captain of the squad!!! Thanks for all of your positive motivation through your comments on my own workouts as well as your hilarious commentary on your own. Glad to call you my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than-you so much :) I"ve said it before but I have to again, I admire you so so so much Amanda, and your friendship has meant a lot.

      Delete
  4. Welp, that's it then. I'm just now realizing that FB has been burying your posts in my feed. Just switched to "get notifications". Now I won't miss the opportunity to cheer you on like you do for me. You are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile so wide :) you ROCK Yum YuckY :)

      Delete
  5. Hello!

    I have a quick question for you, could you email me when you have a chance? Thanks! –Heather

    heather(dot)vonstjames@gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete