Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Manotick Miler: Race Recap



I have to admit that my tummy  was a flutter with butterflies the week leading up to this race.  Perhaps because it was the first of the season and I was nervous about trying to push my pace in a race vs. out for a long run on my own.  Friday afternoon, Kasey and I went and picked up our kits, as the girls were doing the 1 mile race.  While we waited in the park, Kasey suggested we practice by running the hill! I think she could be a mini "Jay" in the making especially with her love of burpees. I wanted to feel good for the race so I took an "active rest" day Saturday and did a 1.5 hr hot yin class with my friends Liz and Janice.  It was a treat to hang out with them and also exactly what my body needed.  I walked out of the class with new hips I tell you.  When I got home from yoga, Kayeligh was waiting for me with her running shoes on, as I promised her that I would do a practice run. We did two laps of the block to practice pacing ourselves.  That night the family and I carb loaded at a new Italian Restaurant in the hood.  I told myself I could have 2 glasses of red (it's sat night for heaven's sake) well I had three, but switched to nuun right after and was toes up in bed by 9pm.

 I had no trouble waking up Saturday morning, and the butterflies were gone, I was READY! I have never felt that calm and ready to run a race ever!  I think part of it was the fact that it's a "smaller" race and I was running with so many of my friends.  We met up before the race to chat and keep warm.

Look at all that happy going on!!  Most of us here are running the Pelee Island Half Marathon together, can you say FUN!!!


The race went really well, this is one of my favourites to run.  I love being out on the country roads, for the most part I don't mind the rolling hills, it's the last one at the very finish that makes me grit my teeth.  I had a plan to run this race slower to start and finish strong (rather then my usual start to fast and die at the end) and for the most part I did that.  I loved the turn around on this race and was able to see my girlfriends running looking strong and cheered them on.   My favourite moment was seeing Jay and being her awesome self even in the midst of her own race was yelling GO GO GO!  As a bonus our babysitter Ais and a friend Caroline were working water stations.  It's amazing what seeing a familiar face will do to add pep to your step. I felt great on this race, found a comfortable push pace and stayed there.  My legs and hips felt quite happy, not heavy, not tight.  I will admit they did feel a little jelly like in the last two miles though.  I knew that Ryan and the kids would be at the finish line which brought back memories of the TO Marathon and I pushed to get there and see them.  I finished the race under my goal of 1:30 (my fastest 10 mile training run time) with a time of 1:25:58, and 7th in my category!  I love small races that make you feel like a super star.


With the kids after the race, next up the family 1 mile race

The girls warming up for their race.  Kasey was funny the morning of the race she was like "REALLY? I just want to enjoy myself on the couch it's Sunday!" but by the time the race stuff started they were back into being excited. 


Kay getting serious doing some last minute stretching in line
and Ryan just plain old being a weird cross fitter....funny story when he was doing the spring dog poop clean up he squatted around the backyard working on his "mobility" Weird no? I kind of wish he had fallen in the poop lol. 

Kay taking off ahead of her sister, Ryan stayed with her

I stayed with Kasey, I wasn't allowed to actually be with her and had to hang back.  She would bolt like lightening and then rest, whine, whine some more, do tree pose to catch her breathe and then BAM!!! off she went again.  #intervaltrainingkidstyle 

Proud girls with their medals 
I have to confess this is the part of the story where I tried to ditch my "mom hat" I was itching to hang with my run buddies and swap run stories with a beer.  Did I mention that Big Rig was there!  I lucked out and Ryan was an awesome hubby and dad and watched the kids and then took them to a birthday party, so I was free to hang at the "big kids table."  This is hands down my favourite part of a race, sitting around with beers rehashing the race and celebrating.  I think I ate the best burger of my life that day, correction make that TWO burgers :) 

I can not wait to take off on a girls weekend to Pelee Island with these same girls, in a month, to run our next race.  I have a feeling this will be the most fun Half Marathon I will ever run!  I'm also pretty excited two friends will be running their first half marathon's that weekend.











1 comment:

  1. Welp, I hate to run much but I sure do love a good race recap! And those sunglasses...making a fashion statement, I see. ;)

    ReplyDelete