Friday, October 18, 2013

On our way...Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon here we come!

STWM last year, likely thinking about the food that Ryan has waiting for me at the finish line!  which was the  BEST CHICKEN CREPE SAMMI EVER!
My bags are packed and I am double checking my run gear one more time!  Last year I forgot my water bottles and had to scramble to find a running room to get more.

What was going to be a sweet romantic late anniversary weekend, in Toronto, ending with a 26.2 mile race is now a family adventure.  The kids are coming with us!  Oh well, the four of us are tight and will make it a fun weekend.  We plan on checking out that new Ripley's Aquarium.  I've also told the kids that this was supposed to be a romantic weekend for mom and dad and they better be on their best behaviour.  Not that they have a clue what a romantic weekend is lol.  I still plan on going to a fancy restaurant Friday night to celebrate our anniversary and eat delicious gourmet food.  I don't care if the menu doesn't have kid fun food.  They like bread and butter they will be fine.

It feels good to be getting out of the house and going somewhere today, as I've felt stir crazy.  I'm nervous about the race and have been debating strategy in my head changing my mind over and over. I have a plan now and I'm going to stick to it! (famous last words!)  Friend's have asked what my goal is for the race and I have been scared to say one out loud for fear of not making it.  But then someone said to have more then one goal.  I like that. I like that a lot.

So here you go......cue the butterfly dance party!

My first goal is to break my marathon downward trend!  wink.  I ran 3 marathons in 9 months and they got slower and slower.  Which is to be expected.  4:17, 4:39:49, 4:48.  I ran Toronto injured and in pain last year and I limped the last 7 miles at Disney so given that I am in good shape, and injury free I hope that I can turn this ship around.  I think my biggest challenge will be a pesky knee pain that seems to come back...it's plagued me a bit this training period but I've been very careful.  So my challenge will be when I feel some ache to not think about it, to not get stuck in a negative panic loop, to go somewhere else and let go.  I think I make it worse getting stuck in that negative place.

My second goal is to try and mimic my first marathon.  It was an incredible race.  I felt good, I was powered by emotion and messages from my kids.  I was making a life long dream come true.  The was no pressure as it was my first and I just wanted to finish.  My last 10km were my strongest.  It wasn't an easy race but I felt strong.  I want to feel that way again.  I've trained so hard this year.  I used the Run Less Run Faster program to run my fastest half marathon in the spring 1:50:36 (1:49:30 on my garmin thanks to zig zagging hit the half before the finish).  I ran my fastest 5km this year training for that May race at 23:58.  Then I moved into Marathon training and used the K2J plan.  I was doing hill and track work that is much more intense then before and more long runs.  I modified the program a bit, listening to my body and learning when to ease back and when to push.   I found balance this year, I learned I didn't have to push my body into the ground.  I also found away to train and have fun with my family.  So this race is a celebration!

That's right, my main goal is a celebration!  I'm celebrating the girl that spent 10 years or so on the couch so to speak feeling envious of those that ran.  Thinking that was lost to me.  I'm celebrating having a family that is active and healthy and LIVING an amazing life together.  I'm running because I can, because I love it.  I'm running 26.2 miles because I love to friggen run!

I also have a Secret Weapon:  I have a bag of Bulk Barn Treats, and Cupcakes from my friend Janice at Cakes by Design  waiting for me to eat in the car on the way home!  I WILL RUN to get to my Salted Caramel Cupcake!


oh and side goal.....not to SHART my pants again :) LOL!!  You only do that in Disney!

10 comments:

  1. lol!! Oh Katie....the last sentence :D I hope you can enjoy yourself and keep the self doubting Katie at bay....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you sharted? Oh no!

    true story: I had a take a poo in a ditch once.

    Also, this sentence: "The four of us are tight". Totally made me smile. :)

    Anyways... sending you speedy vibes this weekend my friend. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Amy you and Ryan would make good run partners! LOL Thank-you :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you have as much fun this weekend as I did last weekend. I wish you a great run, a gentle breeze to keep you cool and winged feet to keep you fast...run Katie run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. winged feet I love that :) thank-you

      Delete
  4. You are just awesome. Your honesty and willingness to share so much is such a delight (wait... did I just use the words awesome and delight in the same comment???? I must be getting old... and trying to stay young! lol) and it never ceases to put a smile on my face. You are one of a handful of my personal role models. Someone who has learned to balance her family life along side HER life and managed to keep herself sane too (in my opinion!)!

    Enjoy every step and feel grateful and CONFIDENT that you.can.do.this. That you WILL do this.

    HUGS! I can't wait to read the recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josee can't thank you enough for all of your encouragement :)

      Delete
  5. Cheryl Arieli, a.k.a. vitual running buddy!October 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM

    I just loved reading your running history blog...great way to measure your successes & mistakes to avoid. You are true to yourself, which I admire Katie!! Good luck on Sunday...our team will be cheering you on at the 34k mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear all about. Go out and smash those goals, esp the celebration one!

    ReplyDelete