Monday, April 29, 2013

You know that moment in a race where you think...not letting that person beat me?

You know that moment in the race where you think...not letting that person beat me?

Yeah that moment...lol.

Welcome to a peek inside my crazy mind during a road race.

This Sunday I ran the Manotick 18km Road Race, which is just a smidge over 11 miles.  I had 10 miles on the training docket that weekend for a long run.  (I think in miles).   So the race was supposed to be a training run.  My training pace was supposed to be a 8:28 min/mile with a warm up into the pace.

The "race" aka training run started and I set out feeling wonderfully happy to be warm and comfortable and not frozen.  I started off too fast completely ignoring that I had told myself I would warm up for the first 3-5km at 8:40 min/mile.  I was running a 8:15 min/mile.  I just felt so good and my feet were carrying me.  I thought just space out and then settle into the training pace.

Then it happened that moment...where you pick someone and think ummm yeah they aren't going to beat me.  Usually this phenomena doesn't happen till your in the thick of the race, you know about half way or more.  I was 5 min into the run?  Yep...Girl in a pink shirt...not sure why...but I thought I need to stay on her back.  Then girl in the black tank with her perfect toe strike caught up and got on my "NOT GOING TO BEAT ME LIST"  For the first 6km it was me, pink shirt girl, and black tank top perfect strike girl.   Pink shirt was in the lead, followed by perfect strike, and then me.  I was running about 8:15-8:20 min/mile.  (I haven't figured how to download my splits from my garmin yet).  The pace was a bit all over the place.  Did I mention it was a really hilly course? I was running faster then I had planned but I felt great.  In my head I thought this is close to what I want to be running on race day in May, a pace I wasn't sure I could sustain, so there was this wee crazy part of me that was like...maybe you give it a trial run today?  My name is Katie and I have a problem, I like to push it and see what happens.  I passed the girls a few times in first 6km with the natural ebb and flow of the race but they would come back up and pass me. It was funny really.  I wonder if they were doing the same thing I was?  At about 6km a crazy song came on...GREYHOUND..and I felt a surge of energy and went for it. I picked up pace and thought lets break out of this hold.  I did!

Soon there was no one behind me for  quite a stretch.  I settled into my pace and set my eye on the front of the heard.  I had this crazy thought in my head...top 10...you could get in the top 10 women finishing today.  You can do that....you can do that.  (got to love small races).  I soon came up on my next target a group of 3 men across.  They weren't old but they were older then me.  So I of course thought can't let these old guys beat me.  Back in the game.  I passed them!  About 10 min later or so they pass me.  Damn!  We are in the second loop I'm tiring from going out to fast, the hills are catching up to me.  The 3 guys are smart and going for a negative split and pick up pace not the reverse like me.  I grumble under my breath, ease off the pace a bit and take a rest.  But I have my eye on them, and the front of that heard in the horizon.  Not going to drop to far behind (but I've slowed down).  I recover start to push it.  So far the running has been "easy" not to hard.  Now I'm giving it more effort, much more effort to stay at that 8:30 min/mile pace or little less.  I'm stubborn.  I pass a couple more girls and think...top 10 top 10!  The 3 guys have split up, one is straggling! He's mine.  I pass him.  2 more guys to go.  I'm after the dude in the crazy compression socks next.  I need better music, I fumble around with my playlist load up some beats and try to pick up pace for the end.  I pass the compression socks dude!  But Blue Shirt dude of the 3 is long gone, I remember his name...for some reason it was on his shirt.  (I looked up his time later he smoked me lol).  The end of the race is near, I take over another girl.  The hills are killing me, my legs feel like lead. 1km to go...and BAM A HUGE HILL.  Oh my Mother Farker! I swore out loud.  Who does that! It was awful.  An older man, much older (got to love/hate those uber fit older dudes) comes up behind me scared me lol.  I was on my own for a bit and didn't think anyone was around me.  He told me to keep going. Bless him!  So we surged up together...I tried to keep up with him, but couldn't. I told him to go 'ROCK IT' he was like maybe 500 meters from the finish line.   You should have seen him fly!

Downhill to the finish line, scanning the crowd for my peeps, there's Ryan's bald head! My beacon!  My girls Kayleigh and Kasey with their hands out, the Carews too!  I got to high five slide them as I ran in!  Filed under BEST MOMENTS! I've never gotten to see my girls at the finish line so this was amazing.

I finished in 1:34:26 seconds with an average pace of 8:26 min/mile my fastest average pace over a long distance.  (last weekend's PR half was an avg pace of 8:32) Finished overall 38th in the race! 10th out of all women! I DID IT! Just made it! and 4th in my age category.  Again I am loving these small races for making you feel like a superstar.

Ok, so didn't follow my training run plan per say.....but I did learn a lot that I'm going to put to use in May.

Most of all I had a BLAST and throughly enjoyed myself.  I had a bunch of friends running that day too and let me tell you my little "woot" is nothing in comparrsion to theirs.  Some ran their longest races ever!  All ran hard!  Some PR'd.  All of them ran with heart and killed it.

Then icing on the cake...running the Family 2km run after with my girls and Ryan.


Had to share this, I finally got to wear my Arm  Warmer's that match my skirt!  I hate them because they are compression and well like too tight jeans create a MUFFIN TOP...on my arms!  But the sleeves of the t-shirt covered that!  Yahoo!  Only wore them for about 5 min in the race, before peeling them off...right about when I got serious about not letting pink shirt pass me! 




1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! I felt like I was running the race with you. Great job , Katie, you totally rocked the course, hills have nothing on you, gf !!

    ReplyDelete