Thursday, January 24, 2013

Self Care Day


Its 8:30 am and I am wrapped in a blanket by the fireplace blogging.  I am not at the gym, shocking I know!

Its COLD OUT, like really cold out.  Its been COLD AS A WITCHES TIT all week.  Its left me feeling like reaching for copious amounts of carbs, warm blankets, my husband's wool socks (much to his delight), and today like hibernating.  I woke up this morning with zero desire to go workout, my cold has moved to my lungs and I am wheezing and did I mention how horribly cold it is?  Just the thought of the walk from the car to the gym makes me cringe.  I am dressed in my workout clothes, I had good intentions when I got dressed this am.  But as I loaded the kids off to school I decided that today was a great day to make a "Self Care"day.  (even week)

I ran the Disney Marathon almost 2 weeks ago.  I have never taken a proper rest after a marathon.  The first one in May I worked out everyday for a week after trying to prove to myself how hardcore I was.  After the Toronto Marathon in October I immediately began working on changing my stride and doing speed work to run Rattle Me Bones two weeks later and PR at 48:28.  Then I launched into training for Disney. All though I toned down my workouts the week after Disney (only ran twice). I was still really active on vacation and this week have done enough that it has hurt to get on and off the potty for 3 days straight.  I took it easy yesterday and today I am staying home from the gym this am to rest and work on my course.  Later today I am treating myself to a Yoga Ball Deep Tissue Massage Class.  I start a new training program soon and until then I really plan on taking it easy and letting my body recover properly  so I can go hard for May.

Along with the self care, I am really trying this week to listen to my body's hunger cues.  Trying to eat when hungry, stop when full.  I am eating to meet my physical needs but also my emotional needs.  I am looking at food in a new light this week.  One where it also serves an emotional need.  Not a binge eat all things because I am numbing myself of my emotions.  But recognizing that a bowl of oatmeal with choc chips, or a plate of sushi is going to comfort me and warm me right now.  As long as I have eaten the other things I need for my physical needs, and I eat when hungry and stop when full.  I am honoring my body.

Stay warm my friends, and take care :)




11 comments:

  1. "as cold as a witch's tit"... lol... I like that. ;-)

    Good for you for taking care of yourself Katie! You will be a better athlete for it! As for the weather, I'm sure most of us can relate to not wanting to go any where near the outdoors on days like the past couple (and today!). The good news is, it should only last until the weekend... and then it is supposed to start warming up again. - yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe COLD AS A WITCHES TIT...that's my grandfather coming out in me

      Delete
  2. i picked up some yoga therapy balls at my Chiro office. Last time I went to Yoga we did used them and I loved it. Now I just have to use them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh maybe in addition to the foam roller...I need to look into this :)

      Delete
  3. Good for you for taking care of yourself. This week is HARD. The cold is HARD. Working out is HARD. Eating right is HARD. Coming back to work after vacation is HARD. Take some time for yourself this week and hit the ground running next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. coming back from vacation is HARD :) so true! Its like you need a week to get used to reality LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what I love about you? Well, one thing in a list of MANY....You are always seeking to learn, grow, evolve. You're always tweaking what you know, how you know it, and how to be the best you that you can be. I love that you've lost the weight and keep expanding your thoughts about it all-exercise, nutrition, emotion. Finding that balance.

    You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for being such an awesome friend and support :) you rock!

      Delete
  6. now here's the million dollar questions: has the Witch's tit temperature been measured by an independent counsel of Tit-temperature recorders? Until then, the jury is out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL :) I think you should come visit us over here in CANUK land :)

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah, for a series I'd definitely have to have it written down somewhere - I'd be sure to forget by the time I got to the next book! Carrie and I can be weird together because I too think through the details even though most of it doesn't make it into the book.
    Thanks for the post, Kyra, and best of luck with Strength Carrie -- I've been hearing great things about it.
    buy-college-essay
    online-writing-services
    Accounts Software For Small Business

    ReplyDelete