Thursday, January 10, 2013

I've GOT THIS taper down pat now!


So I've gotten passed the Taper Mind Fark and am actually...wait for it...FEELING GREAT!  I have not felt this good leading up to a marathon before.  I think I finally got it, figured out how to taper, and to just enjoy it.  

Since I have spent many a coffee searching the net for blog posts on how other people have handled the taper I thought I would share what I have learned.  More importantly, so I can come back and read it next time and remember how good this felt and to listen to my own advice :) 

Kataroo Tips to the Marathon Taper

Physical 
  • actually tapering off the intensity of workouts makes a big difference in terms of running your race feeling fresh and rested.  It seems like a no  brainer but its something I really struggled with in the past and did not do very well.  I took last weekend off working out completely (second weekend in three years!) as my hamstrings and calves were very tight and sore.  This week I have done moderate low impact cardio sessions, upper body strength and core (no lower body strength), and LOTS OF STRETCHING.  It has made a huge impact in how I feel. 
  • I feel the pull to run, like I should be logging in some kind of miles this week, but I don't think there is anything I can do this week that will help me preform better on race day.  Yes you can run on taper week, you just taper back the distance and intensity.  But for me I struggle with sore bones in my foot and I think sticking to low impact cross training this week was the right choice for me.
  • Trust in your training, I've trained hard leading up to this race and have been diligent in my efforts, now its time to rest and do the self care that will get me happily through those 26.2 miles. 
  • Foam roll and stretch more each and every night, its part of your bedtime routine like brushing your teeth.
  • Get in at least one Yin Yoga class, I'm telling you this stuff is MAGIC!
Nutrition
  • I increase my complex carb intake in the the two week taper period.  A little more in the first week and more in the second.  ie. more oatmeal and choc chips (just kidding I eat other carbs too) 
  • I make sure that what I am putting in my body is TOP GRADE FUEL!  My diet in the last two weeks has been 90% whole healthy foods.  The other 10% is chocolate :) I have been eating more then normal, hungry as heck both physically and emotionally but that's ok, at least its healthy. 
  • I'm hydrating like 90!  Aiming for 3-4L a day.  I do the pee test, looking for pale yellow tinkles...if its fluorescent I'm in trouble.  Hydrating now will make a big difference in muscle soreness and being hydrated on race day. 
Self-Care

  • I'm giving myself lots of extra TLC these days, putting my feet up and painting my nails, bubble baths galore, curling up with a book.
  • I'm banking up on my rest going to bed early and getting as much sleep as I can (have to get up at 3:30 am race day!)
  • I'm soaking up the words of encouragement and love from my family and friends
  • I'm making my playlist and filling it with music that inspires me and makes my heart go PUMP!
  • Most of all I am thinking of my word "Muffins" and feeling grateful for being able to do this body, mind and spirit!




My new lucky skirt for race day! 


5 comments:

  1. You have it NAILED, Katie. Glad you're writing this down so you can read it later. Something tells me this is not your last marathon....good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Donna :) I'm so excited :)

      Delete
  2. Katie, it's like you wrote this one JUST FOR ME!!! I'm doing so many of the same things, and totally agree with you on nothing we do at this point will make us faster. I'm geeked for you this weekend - Disney is going to be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda I'm really excited for you, I admire you so much. You are an incredible athlete. Rest up well leading up to Sunday, and may you RUN LIKE THE WIND :) STROM COUSSOULE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, for a series I'd definitely have to have it written down somewhere - I'd be sure to forget by the time I got to the next book! Carrie and I can be weird together because I too think through the details even though most of it doesn't make it into the book.
    Thanks for the post, Kyra, and best of luck with Strength Carrie -- I've been hearing great things about it.
    buy-college-essay
    online-writing-services
    Accounts Software For Small Business

    ReplyDelete