Saturday, January 19, 2013

Disney Marathon Recap


We are back in Canada, there is a TON of snow outside, and I have a lovely cold.  I miss FLORIDA :( So what better way to cheer myself up then to re-live the Disney Marathon.  So hold on folks here comes the very exciting (to me lol) Disney Race Recap.  

It all started with a little plane ride to Florida, where I was crazy about staying hydrated and luckily had a seat next to the bathroom. 

Kayleigh and I on the plane, keeping busy with my phone camera
We arrived Friday, met up with our family in crime the Carew's, and settled into our amazing home for the next week.  I indulged a bit with a glass of wine and a beer, relaxed in a hot tub and got to bed at a decent time.  

Sat morning I literally jumped out of bed with EXCITEMENT and nerves, threw on my running clothes, downed a glass of water, and hit the gorgeous Florida Road for a quick 5km run to warm up the legs for Sunday's Race.  5km in 26 min!  Not bad for a warm up.  It felt so good to run at a good pace, to not struggle with your footing and grip in the snow.  I pushed but not to hard and it felt fantastic.  Then we gathered up the crew and headed to the Disney Race Kit Pick Up and Expo.  Kit pick up was really easy and fast.  



Then we headed to Downtown Disney where we did a lot of walking around in the sun (I cursed that during the beginning of the marathon Sunday when I struggled to get my GO GO on) and had a great Carb Load Lunch at the Rain Forest Cafe.  I was ridiculously silly about hydrating all week and even more sore Saturday trying to make sure I was ready for the heat Sunday.  But even so I did indulge in a beer and a glass of wine...I was on vacation after all. 

Sat night I packed up my gear, laid it all out, re arranged it 15 times and finally settled down to a pile of salty pretzels and a big glass of Nuun. 

Night before a race ritual. 
The alarm went off at 2:30 am on Sunday morning, but truth be told I was awake on and off with nerves since midnight.   I got dressed and geared up pretty quick. 

My lucky fugly orange hat
I have to say I was really happy to have Rob running the Marathon too, to hang out with, talk the nerves off and visit the port a potty a gazillion times with.  

Rob and I about 30 min from GO TIME.  Both excited and happy and having no clue what we were in for LOL


Knees taped, lucky run skirt, fugly hat, ready to go!


The fireworks went off at 5:30 and I didn't have to wait long to get across the start line.  I turned my music on and tried to settle into my pace.  My plan for the race was to try and aim for a 10 min per mile pace for the first half and then if I could a bit faster in the second half.  I was going into this race feeling good, and wanted to give it my best.  I struggled to find my pace in the beginning, I felt sluggish from being up so early, lack of caffeine, and usual routine off.  There was a lot of bottle necking in the beginning and that slowed me down.  I tried to not worry about it and remember that it was good, forced me to slow down and save energy.  I had no idea how I would handle the heat and thought it was best to go slow in the beginning.  I ran a good portion of the race in the dark and that was disorienting, to be honest, I found myself starring at the ground to be careful not to trip.  I was glad when the sun came up around 6:50.  At around 6km I really had to pee! Like it hurt I had to go so bad.  I had been watching the port a potties looking for one with a short line, and as much as I cursed having to stop I knew I had too.  I found one with a short line, got in did my business and DROPPED A WATER BOTTLE on the disgusting floor.  I didn't want to lose the bottle so I picked it up put it back in my belt and said don't drink from the back right bottle.  Little did I know that my belt would be spinning around during the race loose from lack of winter bulk and YES I think I drank from the dirty one! EEEWWWW.  I made my first mistake when I got back in the race, I was mad at myself for stopping to pee and started to push my pace. Much of the time when I checked my garmin it was at about 9:30 min per mile pace.  I felt great, better then I had in a while and thought I'm going to have a great race.  I walked through all the water stations to make sure I hydrated properly and to give myself that little break.   Things were going well, I felt good and was enjoying the run.  Then things started to go south.  I drank gatorade at all the water stations, which I didn't train with as its so freaking cold in Canada.  I assumed I would be ok to drink it as I have trained and raced with it in past Marathons.  But I soon started to get tummy cramps after each water station.  They didn't last long, but I knew something was up.  Then the cramps moved to my left glute and down my leg.  I was having trouble picking my leg up.  I stopped and waked for 30 sec and felt better and carried on.  By this time my pace had slowed.  I made it to the half way point feeling good and then it got harder.  It was mile 17 where things really started to hurt.  At this point I was like, DISNEY? FUN? this isn't fun!  LOL.  I tried to enjoy the sights, my favourite was running the race track and imagining myself as an olympic athlete on a real track.  The worst was running through the sewage area, it not only smelled awful but tasted bad!  I may have been doing some Disney cursing.  

With about 7 miles to go things got really bad, the pain was intense, and I was really having a hard time lifting my left leg, I was limp running or having to walk.  I had texted Ryan and Laura that am saying that they didn't have to come to the race, I felt bad that they would have to keep the kids entertained in the heat.  I pulled out my phone to see if he texted back praying he didn't listen and was still coming.  Thankfully they knew I was being a doorknob and where on the way.  I was crying and all that kept me going was knowing that I would get to see my kids at the end.  I've never had that before.  I walked or limp ran the last 7 miles of the race.  It was HORRIBLE, the hardest thing I have ever done.  Even when I walked it hurt, and starting up to run again was like working up the nerve to jump off a building because you knew it was going to hurt like hell.  

Pretty sure I am doing the ugly cry here.
Near the end of the race maybe 2 miles to go? There was a candy bar station.  I grabbed two mini choc bars, and walked eating them.  I was happy now, had some chocolate!  I kept thinking almost there, you can do this. Kayleigh and Kasey are waiting for you.  BUT SOMETHING BAD HAPPENED! The choc made my tummy go into convulsions, and the next thing you know I SHARTED!  I freaking SHARTED! I started laughing so hard!  All this time I have joked about pooping your pants during a race.  I have made fun of my husband relentlessly for having to squat on course.  Karma is bad peeps!  I couldn't stop laughing, I braced myself back into my limp run and laughed my way to finish line.  I think it is HILARIOUS that it took me 24 miles to let go of the "pressure" I was putting on myself and to just run happy with my shitty pants!  (ps. it wasn't that bad for the record).  

Coming in for the finish, focusing on getting that left leg to move
I also have one more favourite moment to share, the last 2 miles? of the course was through the park and they were playing music that made me feel like I was in a movie, in that epic save the world scene!  I loved it, it made me keep moving to the end.  



I did it 26.9 miles (yes .9 miles peeps!) in 4:48.  My worst time ever! But also my proudest medal ever earned because I really fought hard for it.  

I made it through the recovery tent, grabbed some ice and wrapped it around my leg and hobbled to my tent area where I waited for my family and friends.  I have never been so happy to see my two little fart faces!!!  

Kay may have been a bit sad about all the heat LOL 
My girl Laura hooked me up with a beer and we rested for a bit while waiting for Rob to come in.  


I have to admit I was really really excited to see Rob come in, and so extremely proud of him too!  May I also point out he did not shart himself and crossed the line with a strong finish!


The next morning we celebrated with a character breakfast and I like a proud runner wore my Marathon Bling to breaky. 





3 Marathons in 9 months!!!

Now time for a nap :) 






6 comments:

  1. OMG I didn't realize exactly how HARD this race was for you - but YOU DID IT!!! And only you, Katie, could shart and laugh yourself across the finish line. I love it!!!! Thanks for sharing the race with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking about your amazing run, your like my Marathon Hero Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about your race! Thank you for sharing it with us. Well done buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do maps, sketches and plot out where all the residents live. I plan nearby towns and landscape. I often cheat and mimic a town I know and sometimes just set my stories in real places. One of those international bloggers so I won't enter the comp.
    buy-college-essay
    online-writing-services
    Accounts Software For Small Business

    ReplyDelete