Saturday, December 8, 2012

Getting Strong

For much of the last year my strength workouts have focused on full body workouts, with compound movements.  Strength workouts to keep me strong, and to to help me build a strong running machine.  My focus has been on lots of lunges, squats, and dead lifts for my legs.  I work my core a lot with the TRX and other exercises.  A strong core has really helped me on those 2 hour plus long runs.  My strength training has been designed for running and to fit into my training plan for the marathons.  But in the last month I have been changing things up a little and giving my upper body a little extra attention.

A group of friends and I have a 4 WEEKS TO FITT challenge going on with the idea being that we want to look extra awesome in our Christmas Party Dresses.  I say extra awesome, because we all look beautiful as we are, but a little extra bump on the shoulders sure is "SEXY"!  My goal was to have some definition and to rock some strong fit arms.  Arms are a big deal for me, my arms used to be a source of embarrassment and something to hide.  I would never have dreamed of baring them.  I had a shrug or sweater for every dress and top without sleeves.  Summer's were hot let me tell you.  
2010



So bare with me when I share these silly pics of me in my bathroom trying to flex my muscles and looking like I am constipated (which I a sure you I am not, CHIA SEEDS!) because I am really excited that I have some muscle pops!! Now to figure out how to wear my dress and walk around looking like a sexy hulk woman while making the I have to poo face :) 

I still have some hanging skin under my arms, I don't think I can get rid of that, but I will wave them like VICTORY FLAGS!
This poo face is brought to you by, trying to hit the damn camera button on my phone with one hand in the air LOL!  
Seriously, this back shot makes me happy!  When I first started working out to Jillian Michael's the SHRED in my basement, my back flab slapped together when I did jumping jacks.  It was such an awesome noise, not.  

The best part about this last month of extra focus on "Strength" is that it is has also coincided with my break from the scale.  Instead of getting on the scale in the morning, I give my arms a little flex, and think STRONG, FIT, HAPPY and HEALTHY.  

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy shitballs!! Honestly, can't even believe it Katie!! You looks amazing!

      Delete
    2. Holy Shitballs :) LOL Haven't heard that in a while :) I like it

      Delete
  2. I asked Santa for arms like that for Christmas or at least the program to help me earn them myself!. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can totally do it Allee :) Look at all you have accomplished already mother runner!

      Delete
  3. Wowzers, you have some amazing arms!!

    I love the idea of an 'extra awesome' challenge that has nothing to do with the scale. Good for you! And man your arms and back are awesome to begin with... four weeks concentrating on that is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Maranda, I was thinking about you and your 30lb DB's this week :) and yes no scale is AWESOME :)

      Delete
  4. The belt does need some assistance from your side as well. It won't just work wonders while you live with a reckless attitude. You will need to keep a check on what you eat and how much of healthy food you are consuming.

    Buy Flex Belt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, my friend! A great story and I'm sure you all had a great time on your cross country trip. I've never been to Montana, but it sounds glorious! I'm sure the chaps with the chaps will never forget it, too. Best regards to you. Ruby
    buy-college-essay
    online-writing-services
    Accounts Software For Small Business

    ReplyDelete