Sunday, September 23, 2012

Army Run Half Marathon 2012

Sipping a glass of red, waiting for dinner to arrive and icing my knees, perfect time to recap the day for my blog.  Funny thing, despite it being an amazing day full of friends and excitement I am POOPED, HUNGRY, a little grumpy and feeling very emotional.  I guess that's to be expected after all the highs of the day, I just wish my kids understood (yes Mommy can't move right now and neither can Daddy).

It's actually been a bit of a "Race Weekend" I warmed up for the half by doing a 5km Colour Vibe with friends on Saturday morning.
Nice and White before heading out to get my COLOUR VIBE ON
I ran with my very good friend Liz and we chatted the whole way, stopping to twirl in the color clouds.     It was truly the most fun run I have ever done.
Doing the Crazy Pussy Cat with Liz and Pam

Showing off my colours to the kids when I got home (that's Ryan in the background cleaning pee off the floor...yeah you heard that right lol) 

But on to the ARMY RUN.  So the day started with a high because of all the excitement online, so many friends were running or walking today.  Many of them first time racers.  I have to give a little shout out to my 5km friends:

  • Laura 
  • Jay
  • Tracy
  • Sue-Anne
  • Dorrie
  • Rob
  • Caroline
  • Mell
  • Jenn
  • Erin
  • Megan
  • Suzanne
  • Colleen
Then their were the Half Marathon takers:
  • Ryan (my hubby)
  • Rob
  • Kelly
  • Leigh
  • Stephanie and Marc (hub and wife team)
  • Barbara
  • Allyson
How inspiring is that?  I headed out to the race already pumped with everyone else's excitement.   

Pre Race 

Ryan and I hung out in the coral together and reminisced a bit over literally how "far" we have come since last year's Army Half.  I spotted my lucky BUNNY. I untied and retied my shoes 6 times (nervous habit) and finally the Cannon went off!  We shuffled forward and before I knew I was RACING!  

So here's the race breakdown (probably only interesting to me lol).  I was heading into it very unsure of how my body would respond.  I have cut back on running the last two weeks, been doing physio, and have been doing everything I can to heal an "injury."  But I felt very hopeful that I was on the mend and would make my sub 2 hr goal.  My plan was to run a 9 min/mile the first 6 miles and then speed up to an 8:45-8:50 min/mile.  I got caught up in the crowd, I was feeling good, and I was running fast.  I decided to stay fast not knowing what my body would do later and thought get as much distance as you can fast and you can slow down later.  My body felt good, good until 8 miles and then my knee started to hurt.  I popped an Advil and the pain eased up 20 min later. I also decided to take my gel earlier feeling like I was using up more energy going faster, then I took a 2nd and a third.  I over did the gels.  I only needed two.  The second half of the race was harder, I was getting tight, I could feel my glutes and IT Band getting tighter (but not painful, thankfully not painful!) I slowed down.  I felt like I was out of gas and that's part of the reason I took the 2nd and 3rd gels too close together. The 3rd was a bad idea and made me feel like I was busy digesting and I felt more sluggish.  My legs really felt heavy and my feet like lead in the last 1/4 of the race.  But only for portions, and I would slow my pace, recover and then push on trying to keep to about an 8:45 min/mile pace or better.    I pushed myself the whole race, I gave it everything I had, and made it in at 1:56:29! I did it I got my OFFICIAL Sub 2 hr Half! 
I thought I had a beaten my best training run time from the spring but nope...I was shy a few seconds. 

My best half time from a training run in the spring, but I did have a cold that day and took a cold pill...that baby jacked me up a bit I think LOL. 
I have to say, I was really in awe of the fast runners out there.  There was a SEA of people ahead of me, and I wasn't passing that many people.  I was right in my pace group.  I wonder what it takes to get to 1:45?

Ryan and I after the race, he had PB of 2:09:16
Afterwards, we met up with our friends, we celebrated with yummy food and delicious beers.  I have to say my favorite part of a race is the sharing of stories drinking beers after! That and the big fat treat meal and dessert for dinner!

So its "Taper" time for the next two weeks and the TO Waterfront Marathon on Oct 14th!  Next weekend we have a fun 5km race at night with friends, the word is we are dressing up as Super Hero's.  At the end of October we have the Rattle Me Bones 10km and the kids will be doing their first race (1km).  Lots of running and racing going on and ending it all with a bang in Disney in Jan with my third marathon.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I just did my first 10K and am waiting on hubby to send me the photos from his phone so I can write my race report. Thinking next year will be my first half!! :) Can't wait to read about the toronto marathon! So glad you kicked ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Annet :) I love following you one Daily Mile...way to go on your first 10km!

      Delete
  2. You are awesome Katie! Sounds like a great time with other fun things ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing Katie!! I was thinking of you but didn't see any tweets in my timeline yesterday before I left for my yoga teacher training. So wasn't sure if you ran or not. So glad the injury did not slow you down. What an awesome PB time! You are so fast!!! Try to get into a RMT that does ART if you can or at least a great spirts massage hips down before Oct 13. You have come SO far. Be proud!! (lara)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this interesting and educative information. I think many writers will find your contribution very helpful, I have equally learnt something from it.
    buy-college-essay
    online-writing-services
    Accounts Software For Small Business

    ReplyDelete