Friday, February 17, 2012

Katie in the kitchen


Kind of funny that two weeks ago I decided to stop counting calories and here I am spending most of my days in the kitchen. It would seem I have finally found my domestic side.  In all seriousness though, I have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen.  Sundays I put together my meal plan for the week and Monday I do a big grocery shop with Kasey's help (its amazing how much easier this is with ONE kid vs two in tow).  Monday, I make a big chili or soup to have through out the week for lunches.  I've also been baking a lot more in the afternoons, with the kids help.  We have been trying different healthy "treats" out.  The kids really like baking and cooking with me and I have to say I like it too.  I am proud to say that I have stuck to the meal plan each night, even when tired and have made some really yummy and healthy dinners.

I have felt really good in the last two weeks, good about what's in my fridge.  The fridge has been filled at any given moment with all sorts of healthy leftovers, and the counter tops with healthy baked goods.  When I am hungry I have easy, clean eating at hand!  Even better, I have the family eating it too!

Like tonight I made a homemade wholewheat pizza crust topped with caramelized onions, spinach, peppers, low fat cheddar and BBQ chicken.  It was amazing!  The kids ate a plainer version with just cheese and chicken, with a side of peppers.  Best part, is we have left overs! An easy healthy lunch for the following day.  I'm particularly proud of myself for doubling the dough recipe and putting some in the freezer for a quick meal in the future.

This week, I got two books out from the library this week, Tosco Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook and Tosco Reno's Eat Clean for Families and Kids I have been pouring through them again and again and think I may just have to bite the bullet and buy them!  I am so excited to try out some new dishes that hopefully the kids will like.  I'm really trying to get the kids excited about healthy food.  I get them to help me as much as possible in the shopping and prepping of the food.  We talk a lot about food and why its good for us.  Like tonight, Kay asked why we didn't just order a pizza from the "PIZZA MAN" and I told her that pizza isn't good for our hearts and we talked about how our pizza was full of stuff to make our hearts healthy and energize us.  Not sure how much of it she really "got" but it was worth a try.  The kids still eat a lot of sugar.  They get TWO desserts each day, after lunch and dinner..they are small (like one oreo cookie, or a handful of little marshmallows etc) but they are still full of sugar and CRAP!  I wrestle with this so much...part of me thinks they are kids and should get to eat a treat...and then I think I'm a horrible parent feeding them poison.  So we move slowly toward a cleaner diet...baby steps..and I keep trying to get more and more of the good stuff in.  In the meantime, they eat some fruit before they eat the poison.

Despite the parenting anxiety, I feel good about the food in my fridge, and I feel even better about the food in my body.  I've had a great two weeks at the gym, pushing hard on my runs and in pump class.  I had one of my best long runs ever last weekend, held a 5 min plank this week, and went up in weight on a few tracks in pump class.  I've had more energy and seem to be recovering really well after my workouts.  Today I am "resting" (although I did do a crappy yoga class), I have a long run to do in the am, and then another rest day Sunday.

I created a board on Pinterest that has my favorite recipes that I have tried and love.  I also thought I would share a few of my all time favorites from the last couple weeks.

Jamie's Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread

Roasted Root Vegetables and Barley

Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal
Do you have any healthy favorites to share?  PS. also tried swiss chard in my morning smoothie this week and LOVE IT!  Greens make me happy :) 

8 comments:

  1. Quick comment about the kids and treats. When I grew up my mom made everything from scratch and there was very little junk. I found when we were all older and could get our own we would gorge - On the other hand in my husbands house there always had Loads of junk on hand - and he never really craves it. That being said I don't think we should have loads of junk on hand but I really thinks its bad to really restrict it. I do make sure when we are having something not as healthy to make sure I say it's junk but that it is ok if we have more healthy stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point..maybe those little bits they have will help...SORT OF LIKE how when I "restrict" I get obsessed about it and then binge on it...where as if I have some in moderation all is well. I like your thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are rockin' the kitchen girl! I love getting the boys to help me out prepping food. We also talk a lot about what we eat and don't eat. I think they get it! They are very accepting when I say no. When I do let them have junk they often feel like junk afterwards;) I always have some healthier alternatives on hand. All the kids at J's 6th birthday gobbled down gluten free/egg free chocolate cupcakes with avocado chocolate icing and had no idea what they were eating (hehe)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that cake looks good!! Are you sharing your meal plans anywhere....asks the desperate pregnant women who needs ideas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayda your cupcakes sound really yummy! your a magician with the healthy food :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you Sara, no I haven't shared the meal plans yet...I should :( Maybe FB them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The swirl bread sounds great! Don't forget to put a link to your post over on my blog post about the link party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can sooooo relate to your comments on kids and eating. I am trying to get my 6 year old to eat better as my husband and I modify our diets. It is hard and feel bad letting him eat some of the stuff he does but I also want him to grow up with a healthy attitude towards food, unlike when I was growing up where my parents hid all the bad stuff. I try to keep to follow the rule that if it is in the house, anyone in the house can have it {within moderation}. The little dude is also going through an EXCEPTIONALLY picky phase which doesn't help matters. Definitely a work in progress at out house.

    ReplyDelete