Sunday, January 29, 2012

Soup: I could do the back float in it

I love soup...like seriously LOVE SOUP....something about a BIG HOT BOWL of it, in front of me...diving in and in my imagination floating about in it doing the back float.

I have been making a vegetable soup LOADED with veggies for a couple months now.  I make it on Monday and eat it all week long with my lunch and dinners.  I find it adds VOLUME to my meals, helping to fill me up, and also helps make sure I get my vegetables in.  I use a random everything but the kitchen sink type of formula....onions, celery, carrot, zucchini, cabbage, canned tomatoes, an organic vegetable broth (some day I will make my own broth).

Last week I ventured into the world of miso soup, after finding some miso paste at the Bulk Barn.  I used this recipe for ONE POT MISO SOUP.  It was so good, and great to change things up a bit.
One pot miso soup

I must confess I did find some dehydrated seaweed at the Bulk Barn as well and OMG IT WAS GROSS...the stuff made my whole kitchen smell like dank fish!  (I hate fish, like killed my goldfish as a kid hate fish!)  I threw that green slimy stuff in the garbage and staked it for good measure like any supernatural monster should be!

ok, moving on from the sea creature fiasco...this weekend I made what has to be the BEST SOUP I have EVER TAKEN A SWIM IN!  I found a recipe on Pinterest for a version of Olive's Garden's chicken and Gnocchi soup.    This soup is INCREDIBLE!  I didn't have half and half for it so I used 1.5 cups of 1% milk and 1/2 cup of 5% coffee cream.  I also used whole wheat gnocchi.  Other then the "fat" from the cream, the soup was pretty healthy with lots of vegetables (celery, carrots, and spinach) and protein.  I so enjoyed the CARB from the Gnocchi (one of my favorite "pastas".) It was the perfect dinner after a long run Sat morning.  We are having it for dinner again tonight :)
Olive Garden's Gnocchi and chicken soup


I'm reveling in my love of soup and am going to try a new one for the following week to eat with my lunches.  Its a Caramelized Onion and Cabbage Soup.  Doesn't that sound good?
Caramelized Cabbage and Onion Soup
What's your favorite soup?

4 comments:

  1. Ever consider doing a soup exchange? Like a cookie exchange but with soup. It's great if you have room in your freezer to store it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh kindred spirit. I LOVE soup. French Onion soup (awesome, easy recipe in Jamie Oliver's Jamie's dinners cookbook.)
    Laksa. Roast pumpkin and garlic. Leek, mushroom and bacon. Sweet potato and bacon. Chicken noodle. Etc, etc.

    Have never tried Miso, might have to have a go.

    Until my husband met me, he never knew soup could be a meal. Soup and some fresh scones (or biscuits as they say in canada). He obviously lived a sheltered life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soup too! I can eat it year round, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that Gnocchi soup! I love it! and I want that homemade recipe!!! but clicked the Pinterest link and didn't see recipe -- only the picture. Help me out! I'm a woman in severed gnocchi soup need.

    ReplyDelete