Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ch Ch Chia!!!

source
I have been noticing Chia Seeds, all over the place of late, in smoothie recipes and baking recipes and health blogs.  The little black seeds seem quite popular in the world of healthy living.  This week I made my first trip to the bulk barn to scope out HEALTH FOOD! GASP!! I am ashamed to admit that I have never gone to the bulk barn for anything but CANDY.  Was I ever surprised to learn, thanks to my fellow Losing it in Ottawa friends, that the Bulk Barn is a great place to stock up on healthy staples for a good price.  While touring the store this past Monday with my daughter I saw the coveted CHIA SEED and quickly filled my bag like it was gold.

The next morning I added some to my morning smoothie, and it made it a bit thicker, and there was no taste to it.  I added the little seeds in good faith not having a clue what the heck they actually do for you.  After gulping down my shake I looked it up.  This is the link I found on the little magic seeds.  (**as always I can't guantee that what they say is accurate, read with a critical mind)  In short they have weight loss properties, are an amazing source of plant based Omega-3 oils, balance blood sugar, are a great source of fiber, anti-oxidant, help you feel more energized and you can even bake with them instead of eggs.

Well I had two smoothies yesterday with the little magic seeds, one for breakfast and one for an afternoon snack and I don't know if it was in my head or not but I swear I felt "fuller" yesterday, a little more energetic than usual, and ummm well let's just say the pipes were working wonderfully.  I even snuck some into my daughter's oatmeal and was waiting for her to ask "Mom what's this black stuff stuck in my oats?" (preparing myself for a repeat of the fish oil fisco) and she didn't even notice!

I am definitely adding this little magic seed to my "healthy arsenal" right next to the natural peanut butter!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I'm going to go and pick some up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how they make my protein shakes nice and thick. I use the ground seeds, they're so fine you don't even notice them.

    ReplyDelete