Tomorrow night is New Year's Eve!! We are celebrating by running the Resolution Run 5km with a bunch of friends and then having a child friendly party with our good friends. I am so excited. I think we will be ending the year exactly the way I have lived it...a balance of fitness and health with lots of fun and some indulgence!!! Bring on the CHEESE and WINE!
and with that I leave you with the top 5 posts from 2011 (because this is exciting stuff right)
100 pounds lost so much more gained
Telling my story a porcelain hell
Granny Panty Parachuting: New Extreme Sport
Ottawa City Chase
and my favorite post of the year "21km"
Thank-you for all of your support and comments this year and I am wishing you your very BEST YEAR of health and happiness in 2012!
Friday, December 30, 2011
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Thursday, December 22, 2011
|Holy Sh#T I'm 35!!!|
and I've lost my marbles...
So on my last day of being 34 let's take stock for a moment?
- I died my hair this week before I could spot any greys coming in...haven't officially found one yet and I don't plan on it!
- My "aging" body seems to be feeling some aches and pains this week, my wrist swelled up and I still can't put my full weight on it (but its much better) and my foot hurts from running intervals Monday...so I have taken a break from upper body weights this week and high impact activities. I did a Spin class Tuesday and Wed skipped the gym all together and did a core workout at home for 20min, today I hope to get to the gym for some low impact cardio. Can't even take my yoga class because my wrist wouldn't do well in downward dog :( Really hope that a week of rest on it will fix it.
- Thanks to my friend Jenn officially signing up for her first HALF MARATHON yesterday, I bit the bullet and registered for the Marathon in May. No more ifs....its going to happen! Like Jenn I feel slightly sick about it LOL.
- Good news...I have a training buddy for the marathon, a friend I met while sweating at Saunder's Farm this year at Exer Susie's class, Kelly is running it too, so I have someone to share those really loooooong training runs with.
- Christmas is almost here and I am beyond giddy with excitement, my December Daily album is packed full of memories already...its been an awesome month!
- New Year's Eve we will be ending the year again with the Resoultion Run, and running it with a bunch of friends. I love that we are ending a year of health off with a bang with friends that also share this crazy spirit! After the run we are celebrating with our dear friends Laura and Rob (they are running too), while the kids are having a sleep over. Laura has issued the challenge of filming our Losing It in Ottawa Push Up challenge that night in our party wear! Should be entertaining! I just hope her Snooki Accessories stay in place!!
So bring it THIRTY FIVE, I'm READY!!
Saturday, December 17, 2011
|find the recipe here....if you dare|
"I want the gift of letting go, of being kind to myself, of loving myself...I want to just 'be in the moment' of Christmas...enjoying the celebration and magic"
I don't want to think about all that "other" stuff...nor do I want to go into a full blown sugar coma, where I am not in the moment celebrating and interacting with my loved ones but caught in some strange cookie stuffing mania. It does seem that I have a hard time finding that "sweet spot" right in between the two. I tend to find myself either being super rigid or down right manic about filling myself.
Well last night I had a WIN, and it was better then any personal best running! It was late in the evening, and I wanted a treat, I made a small plate of my favorite Christmas treat (see pic above). It was soooo very good! Then the overwhelming urge to eat A LOT MORE kicked in, that panicked feeling of flight or fight settled in, that old habit that led to me weighing 258 pounds was banging on the door! I took many deep breaths, and I walked away! But that wasn't the win. The win was that I ate that small plate of cookies and I didn't let the guilt...that feeling of this is going to undo me...that oh you Farked Up feeling get me. I ate that treat like a woman that exercises hard, and eats very nutritiously most of the time. I ate that treat like that elusive "normal"woman would eat it...does she even exist? That was my win!
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas this year and my hope is that we will all find our way to being kind and loving with ourselves in our own way.
Thursday, December 8, 2011
|Awkward trying to show some muscle pose...or pushing a big fart out...wonder?|
|A long way from doing jumping jacks and having my back fat slap together doing the Shred 2 years ago :)|
So to celebrate, and to reinforce for myself what this 100 pounds really means I thought I would make a list of 100 things gained! (I don't expect you to read through it all, its more for me) wink.
- confidence in myself
- confidence in my body's ability to do things
- I love going out and dressing up and don't choose to "hide" at home because I am embarrassed by my size.
- daring...love trying crazy news things because I believe I can likely do them
- made a big dream come true running a half marathon
- fell in love with getting up on a weekend morning, chugging a shake, and heading out to a race with my hubby
- loving the post race glow and chat with Ryan while we break it down
- sharing getting fit with my husband
- how hot my husband looks (can you tell I miss him)
- strength...I am strong...I feel strong
- I love my arms, even if they still have loose flying squirrel skin, I think they still look toned, and I love them....I hated baring my arms at a size 22.
- shoulders...I love my shoulders
- I love that my daughter draws pictures of girls with shoulders LOL
- I love my legs...
- I can look at myself in the mirror with both eyes open now
- I can look at myself naked and not cringe...even with sagging skin...I don't care..its like a battle scar I am proud of
- speaking of naked...well lets just say certain actives are much more fun!
- and on that note yoga...yes yoga really helps in that dept :) LOL
- speaking of yoga, have fallen in love with yoga
- love the challenge of getting better at certain poses
- have learned that there are actual health benefits to those poses!
- my kids love yoga!
- I like a variety of physical things now....
- weight training
- Fitness classes
- Even enjoyed a dance like class ONCE
- I've done crazy stuff like City Chase and next year Bust a Move
- being fit has become a social thing
- I've so enjoyed the last 6 months or so with my good friend Laura at the gym, will miss her so much when she goes back to work, but plan on seeing her once a week in the evening
- met a girl at the gym, Jenn, who's become on of my dear friends, and with Laura, we make a crazy threesome! CHARLIE'S ANGELS watch out!
- I have a new workout out pal, Liz who is training for a figure competition, I am learning so much from her, and more than that she is an awesome person and I am so enjoying getting to KNOW her :)
- I've met up with a friend from the LIO community and fellow blogger Pam, to get sweaty
- I've reconnected with my friend Mell at the gym :)
- I have a huge sweet spot for a group of 'retired ladies' at the gym, they make me smile and laugh
- Through the Losing it in Ottawa community I have met an awesome group of women and they are part of my daily life online
- yesterday when Pennignton's called to tell me about a special offer, I kindly and admittedly quite proudly asked to be taken off their call list as their clothes don't fit, and I politely said I hope they never do again, the lady laughed and gave me her best wishes :) it was pretty cool :)
- Yesterday I zipped a gorgeous designer dress in a size 8 up :) Sigh it stayed in the store...not in the budget LOL
- when I set out to loose weight I thought a size 14 would be my goal....never imagined otherwise...it didn't even seem possible...
- but its not about size...its about speed, and strength, and endurance
- or maybe its not about that either....
- maybe its about my Dr. proudly giving me an A PLUS at my physical, and looking at my girls in the room with me and saying that what I am doing is setting them up to succeed
- maybe its more about the frustration and effort I am putting into trying to feed my children's little bodies as best I can and set them up for health and the success when they actually like something I make
- maybe its more about how much closer Ryan and I are after 16 years or so together...
- and how much more of a team we are
- and how attracted to each other we are
- Its about not feeling trapped by my weight
- Its about my mind finely healing and my soul lifting
- its about seeing the people I love making their own brave steps towards a healthier self
- oh my I have to think of 100 things?
- who's idea was this?
- is anyone still reading?
- my taste for food changing
- I love healthy food
- my body wants it and so does my mind
- I still want choc though and other treats
- and I have learned that I can enjoy those things in moderation and more importantly MINDFULLY...being present...not in a mind numbing binge
- I'M DRUG FREE...no prozac, no paxil....just plain old fashined endorphins
- I have discovered just how strong my WILL is....
- my will power, and determination in running that half
- my strength in staring down my past demons and kicking their ass!
- running in Norland.....its beautiful and feels magical
- learning I like hills
- fitting into LULULEMON....that was a big fun for me....
- doing this one again :) LOL
- I can carry my children on my shoulders up and down hills on a hike...no sweat..ok maybe some sweat...saving me from having to listen to them whine about being tired
- I can play with my kids outside and give them a run for the money
- I can heave the laundry up and down the stairs like wonder woman
- I can carry a TV all by myself to the car, no help from the guys
- I can put the lap tray down on the train or airplane
- I can sit comfortably in the movie theatre
- I sleep so soundly at night or I would if my kids left me alone
- I am not smothered in guilt over what I ate
- when I do indulge, there is no guilt...or at least not like before
- I have learned how to enjoy and relax and fit into my overall healthy lifestyle....for the most part
- I have found what works for me, not a diet, a way of life
- I am ok with my weight fluctuating...
- I know I likely gain some weight as I train for a full marathon
- I am ok with that
- holly crap I am going to make a huge dream come true
- I got my PT certification
- I made it through sitting in a class feeling like the FAT, OLD, LADY...and didn't give up
- I believe I can help other women
- I believe that I will be happiest sharing and helping others
- I want to bottle this feeling up and give it away to those I love
- I feel like ME :)
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
I noticed its been a while since I blogged or rather a friend pointed it out to me (wink). So I thought I would share some random bits of Kataroo with you...you know because that's riveting stuff!
- Last week I went to a Sugar Sense workshop, held by Eat Whole Be Vital and had a few aha moments. One of those moments was learning that Fructose goes straight to your liver and therefore is considered a 'poison'. Guess what my beloved AGAVE NECTER, yep is high in fructose....navigating this sugar stuff is a complicated land mind. So does that mean I give up Agave Nectar? No....I just need to use a variety of sugars like honey, molasses, brown rice syrup, maple syrup...
- I wrote a blog post on strength training for the beginner on the Losing it in Ottawa Blog
- I finally baked the "healthy" cookies that my friend Maranda has been raving about, and she was right they are AWESOME!!
|I used honey instead of the white sugar|
- On the fitness front, I ran a personal best for the 5km on the treadmill (1% incline, flat terrain) 27 min 22 sec! Previous best was 27:48....you really have to PUSH it to shave time off a 5km...I almost hit the puke point LOL. Luckily I had my friend Laura next to me, keeping me engaged and my mind of the "UGHH"
- I had another strength workout with my friend Liz, who is training for a figure competition, I love working out with her, she's super fun and I am learning so much from her!
- I discovered this new to me site called BODY ROCK TV and its full of great intense short workouts, unfortunately my good friend Jenn now wants us to do the 1000 rep workout...I'm scared :) LOL
- Had a really cool moment at the gym the other day when a woman said "I know you don't need this, but could you help me find the "light" weights"....loved that!
- In addition to making the healthy cookies have also done some Christmas baking for a cookie exchange party this Friday. I made these cookies, not so healthy...I also now need to make more for the exchange!
- Christmas baking and holiday parties are not helping me inch toward that last 1.5 pounds...but I am ok with that..it is the holidays after all :) My friend asked me the other day what my holiday plan was for dealing with temptation. I told her that my plan was to find balance. To eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, and to workout and then enjoy an indulgent dinner and dessert and lots of wine :) This past weekend was the first test, a weekend away and a party to go to. Let's see I didn't workout even though I brought my stuff with me, and Sunday I had an IV line of sugar hooked up! And you know what..IT WAS AWESOME!