Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sometimes its not an easy choice


Sometimes its not an easy choice, to tie on my running shoes and head out the door.  I wanted so very much to stay in bed this morning when the clock hit 6:00am, especially since the kids were still asleep.  At the time it seemed very unfair to have to drag myself out of bed to eat breakfast so I would have enough energy come 7am to go for my run.  A run that I was making sure I did early enough to avoid the heat and also to accommodate the family going out on an adventure later in the day.  Ryan and I have a system, where we take turns sleeping in on the weekend, and on holidays.  I have not taken my sleep in day once this summer, I have gotten up early each time to either get out for my long run, or while on holiday to make sure I had time for breaky and coffee before hitting the gym.  Its my choice not to sleep in, no one is placing this on me.  But its not an easy choice.  I want to lay in bed, in warm cozy sleep.  But every time I get out there I am thankful I got out of bed.  Its worth it.  Running 19km this morning was believe it or not quite enjoyable.

Sometimes I don't think I give myself enough credit.  I know I am lucky that as a stay at home mom I can workout during the day.  I know that it would have been a much more difficult road to be lugging my bum out of bed to hit the gym in the early am or after a long day of work.  I know I am lucky to be able to put the kids in the daycare at the gym and get a 'break'.  I understand that I am very lucky that I actually enjoy exercising.  I say these things to other people all the time.  I say these things the same way we handle being given a compliment.  "You look so pretty today"...."oh its the make up, I actually put on make up today."  When people give us a compliment we down play it, we don't take ownership of the good.  I think I down play the work that goes into what I do.  There are many mornings when I don't want to go to the gym, when I don't want to drag the kids there, when I am too sore to go.

When the kids are sick and I can't make it to the gym, I put on an exercise video in the basement and sweat while trying not to break my leg tripping on the kid's toys.  I run when I have a cold, I run when my allergies are so bad that I risk peeing my pants while sneezing,  I go when I don't want to.

I'm not trying to sound like a warrior woman, or looking for a pat on the back (ok maybe just a little star sticker LOL).  I just think that sometimes we spend a lot of our time and energy collecting excuses.  We collect, gather, even horde excuses like rocks and boulders to build a mountain so big we can't bare to climb it.  Here's the thing, it takes so much more effort to build that mountain then to just break through it.  


So I ask this of you tomorrow morning when you wake up,  start a new collection.  Start a collection of accomplishments, you will be amazed at how much easier it is and how damn good it feels.


2 comments:

  1. This! You are a warrior woman. You fight through "easier to stay in bed" and so many other barriers. Take the credit you are owed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie! I haven't quite broke down that mountain but trying to walk up it a little everyday and you are my inspiration and you should be proud of what you have accomplished in little over a year...I know I am! I am writing this after snuggling in for a nap with Will for an hour this afternoon. The bed is a comfty place....
    Love you...Karen

    ReplyDelete