Thursday, August 11, 2011

Update

I am sipping the drags of my morning coffee while the kids make birthday cards and I feel like blogging.  I thought it would be good to post an update of sorts as to how I am feeling and where my head is.  I am very happy to report that my lung issue has cleared up and I am back in the game.  I had a good run yesterday.  I did 8km on the treadmill, on the classic hill program level 3 (not as hilly as usual as I am easing back in).  The first 20 min was a bit of a struggle, I didn't seem to have the same energy/endurance that I normally do.  The next 20 min were bliss, I had the running high and felt fluid.  Then the gas tank hit empty and I struggled to the end.  It would seem I have lost a bit of umpph while being sick, but I don't think it will take long to get it back.  I am going away this weekend for my sister's wedding so my plan is to put that dreaded long run in Friday morning before we leave.  I am packing my runners and will do a short run in my old stomping grounds Sat morning.  I haven't run in Kingston since I was in university!
In other news, I posted a while ago that I had started using My Fitness Pal to track my nutrition and exercise.  I also posted that 3 days or so into and I was headed to crazy ville.  I stopped using the program and went with eating what felt right and watching my portions.  I was weighing myself once a week and was  doing well.  Then I went away for my sisters bachlerette, and ate too much and drank to much and gained 3 pounds.  That gain had me trying My Fitness Pal again to get back on track.  My plan was to track for a few days and then go back to flying blind.  That's when I surprised myself with staying in SANE VILLE.  I think my 'come to Jesus moment' a few weeks ago set my mindset straight and I am feeling healthy and sane on all fronts.  I have found the tool really helpful, I have made sure I have gotten enough protein each day, as well as calories to support the activity I am doing.  Its also helped me stay in moderation while going out to restaurants.   I think the key for me is that my MIND needs to be in a healthy place, one of moderation and self love.  As I said we are headed for my sister's wedding this coming weekend and I plan on indulging and enjoying myself and not stressing about it.  I will balance the indulgence with my run Sat morning and a nice stretch and rest Sunday.
Lastly, there are 4 weekends left before the half marathon!  2 weeks prior to the race I will do a 19km run, the idea being that if I can run 19 I can run 21 two weeks later.  The weekend before the race I will 'taper' down and do a light run.  The timing is perfect as we will be in Niagara on the Lake that weekend, the perfect place to enjoy a nice light run.  I have the butterflies, just thinking about the 18th...of 21 kms...can I do this?  Am I ready?  No matter what I am going to go for it, that much I do know!

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Go for it, and you've already won :)

    I'm a pretty strong believer in the power of journalling, it makes all the difference for me. But I also don't particularly want to do it forever... so it's a bit of a love-hate relationship. Using it to get back on track when you need it sounds like a pretty good approach to me, perhaps I'll start trying to go off it on purpose from time to time (as opposed to those times where I just skip it because it annoys me too much).

    ReplyDelete