Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What I want to be when I grow up

For the last few months I have felt a lot like a teenager again, contemplating what I want to be when I grow up.  I have been a stay at home mom (SAHM) for almost 5 years now!  I have about another 2 years left before  I return to the workforce, if we stay with the current plan of waiting till both the girls are in school full time.  So I have been contemplating and maybe even stressing a bit over what I will do when that happens.  Before becoming a mom I was a branch manger at a staffing company, and I was not happy.  When I entered the staffing industry I was attracted to helping people.  I helped a lot of people in those first few years and that was very rewarding.  But once I started getting into management the focus of the job changed and with it so did my job satisfaction.  Having been a SAHM the last 5 years has been very rewarding and enjoyable.  I don't dread going to work.  I don't hate Mondays.  I even used to get a nap!  So my desire is to find a new career/job that I enjoy just as much.  Now I love my SAHM Gig, but to be truthful I think the gig is coming to an end.  I feel like its time for me  to have an identity outside of being 'MOM' again.  A few weeks ago I was asked my name and I rambled off my kids names and forgot my own.  I feel like more and more the days are marked with frustration and the loss of patience with the kids.  Quite frankly, I don't want to feel like that anymore, which is one of the reasons I have been contemplating a change.
So what do I want to be when I grow up?  Its kind of exciting and a little bit scary to think about.  In university I studied psychology  and I volunteered with the Anorexia and Bulimia Association (I ran support groups and did public educational speaking).  My intentions upon graduating where to go into the field of Eating Disorder Treatment but somehow I got side tracked making money in my first job after graduation.  But the need and want to help WOMEN feel good about themselves has always stayed with me.  A couple years ago I even put together and ran one successful Body Art Journal Class at a local art studio.  The concept of the class was a group of women coming to together to talk about learning to love our jiggly bits while creating art.  Now here I am today almost a year into my new active life, blogging about it, cheering my friends on at Daily Mile, and Facebook and I have found a new way to make others feel good about themselves.  At the end of a spin class an instructor once said "don't take this feeling for granted," that glow, that rush, that feeling of accomplishment.  I have often thought how much I would like to help others feel that too.  So why not? Why not help them?  So today I registered for the Goodlife  Fitness Personal Training Certification Course running in May.   Its a small step toward starting something new, something exciting, and something very definitely rewarding. 
(thank-you Sabrina for all of your help and inspiration the last two weeks)

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear that you're doing this! You will be an amazing personal trainer - I have no doubt!

    ReplyDelete