Saturday, April 30, 2011

Longest Run Yet!

Ryan and I are in beautiful Norland this weekend at my parents house.  They live in cottage country and its beautiful here with the forest and lake all around us, a great place to run.  I had it in my mind that we would go on a long run this weekend and I had been preparing for it doing a lot of hill work on the treadmill.  The road is not flat here like it is in Barhaven.  It is very HILLY!.  After last weekends success finally taking to the road and leaving the comfort of my treadmill behind, I got a little cocky and half joking suggested to Ryan that we try for 15km.  Well he was all for it, not questioning our ability.  I wasn't as confident but was game.  So we set out this morning to go for our longest distance yet, and on very hilly terrain.  I am happy to say that it felt really good, the weather was warm and not to hot, the sun was shining.  I even felt strong on the hills.   The hardest part of the run for me was going down the hills, I find the impact hard on my knees.  I tend to get a bit sore in my knees after 10km and today I felt the down hill impact and the last 3km were very hard.  Not painful, but not comfortable.  After the run I stretched and I took an ice bath to help recover.  The rest of the day I felt good, no pain.  I did feel a little 'sore' in my leg muscles but just the normal soreness for having run that far.  I am happy that the knee 'pain' wasn't lasting.  I need to read up on how to strengthen my knees so I can go the distance and not get hurt.  I envy Ryan, it doesn't seem hard for him.  I thought for sure I would have him on those hills today having trained for the incline but he was still a good 3 min ahead of me.  Well he was until I saw him heading for the ditch!  Maybe that's why the last 3 km were so hard because I couldn't stop laughing at his predicament.  Even with the aches and pains near the end it felt INCREDIBLE to run today.  I am so proud of us for having gone that far.  I love the feeling of running, it actually feels GOOD, and I truly enjoy it.  I can't wait for us to cross the finish line in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment