Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Time to listen to my own advice.

This morning I went to my home gym (at Goodlife I can workout at any GL location and I alternate between 2, sometimes 3).  My home gym is the woman's gym and I like to weigh myself there once a week.  I don't have a scale at home, if I did it would be too tempting to be jumping on and off it playing weight games.  I like the scale at this gym because it is kind to me, in other words I weigh less on it then any other scale available.  Well you can imagine my horror this morning when I found that my sweet friendly scale was gone!  VANISHED. No where to be seen!  I had been excited to reconnect with my buddy scale, to see a little loss, after some hard work.  At the very least I was looking forward to a validation of being on the right track, a pat on the back.  So I braved the old school Dr. style scale.  YIKES.  I think its broken? Gahhhh I hate how that stupid scale made me feel.  Remember this post where I very smartly and bravely through my scale out?  Well I need to listen to that girl.  I need to listen to my own advice, the same advice that I given and preached to so many other girls in the last few months.  In reality I could have stood on my friendly scale this morning and had a loss.  Then I could of stood on two other scales and had 2 completely different results.  So what am I looking for the scale to tell me?  I want it to tell me that I FREAKING ROCK!  I want it to tell me that I am working hard, and doing the right things, and getting fitter (and yes even maybe looking a little better too.)  Do I need the scale to do that?  No I don't, the sheen of sweat on my back tells me I rock.  My friends that have been so supportive tell me that I am doing the right things.  Most of all my soul is singing my praises because I am happy.  I need to let go of this number thing for good.  But despite all these positive things it is hard, truthfully hard.  This number obsession has been grilled into us all of our lives.  Two weeks from now or a month from now I will find myself standing on a scale again, and I will be happy to see some number that validates  my efforts in a way that this other 'fluffy stuff' does not.  I will be tempted to forget my wise words when that happens.  I want very much to really truly let this go.  I want for us all to let it go.  So help me my friends, lets support each other in finding our true worth!

4 comments:

  1. Completely agree. I am also scale obsessed, but am not as brave as you to throw it out! I do find that it helps to keep me on track and I work a little harder because of it. That being said, my most favourite way to track my progress is to buy a fabulous outfit and go out somewhere exciting with hubby... Want to double date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. double date sounds fan-freaking-tastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can be your scale if you want, k? Simply stand on my back and I will totally yell from the top of my lungs, "F@$%girl (your "f" word, not the swear word) YOU TOTALLY FREAKIN' ROCK!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heheheheh thank-you Heather :)

    ReplyDelete